I write to answer some of the many questions that fill the minds of people like you as you search for an otolaryngologist. Hopefully you will have a sense of who I am, and how my practice will benefit you or your children.
I am a general otolaryngologist with an emphasis in a few areas of our specialty, Otolaryngology / Head & Neck Surgery. My areas of emphasis are Pediatric Disorders of the Ear, Nose & Throat, Rhinology (Sinonasal and Allergy Disorders), Sleep Disorders, Thyroid , Salivary Glands, Disorders of Hearing and Diagnostic Neck Surgery.
I strive to provide excellent care of my patients at all levels. I believe in truly listening to what patients have to say, as a major part of my diagnosis is built from the history provided by the patient. I was trained at Stanford University School of Medicine, which has a unique approach to teaching the skills of the Doctor-Patient relationship.
My experience dates back to 1998, when I graduated from Stanford Medical School. I completed a year of General Surgery internship at Stanford, before moving to Los Angeles, California where I completed the remainder of my post-graduate residency training in Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery (Ear, Nose & Throat) at the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. I have been perfoming surgery within my specialty for about 15 years.
I believe in a balanced approach to diagnosing and treating all patients. While I am a surgeon, I am a physician first. I utlize my knowledge of diseases and medicine that pertain to the head and neck when evaluating a patient. I do my best to consider underlying diagnoses as they may relate to the present illness. I also believe in treating patients in the most non-invasive manner before considering other interventions. When maximal medical therapy has failed, there is a specific algorithm I use to obtain the necessary information before considering a patient as a surgical candidate.
I am a strong proponent of implementing the age of technology and innovation into the practice of medicine. I use state-of-the-art instrumentation and medical products to deliver the highest level of care and optimal outcomes for my patients.
Above all, I aim to do no harm. This known as non-malefiscence, and I remain true to this tenet in all that I do. I strive to address your concerns, alleviate your suffering, and improve your quality of life.
I look forward to meeting you!
Malaika Witter Hewitt, MD
ENT of Atlanta / ENT of Georgia
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- 1999 – 2003 Residency: Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science Department of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery Los Angeles, CA
- 1998 – 1999 Internship: Stanford University Medical Center Department of General Surgery
- 1994 – 1998 Medical School: Stanford University School of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine
- 1989 – 1993 Undergraduate: University of Wisconsin – Madison, Bachelor of Science, Zoology
- Immediate Past President, Georgia Society of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery
- President, Georgia Society of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery July 2017 to July 2018
- Vice President, Georgia Society of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery July 2016 to July 2017
- Secretary, Georgia Society of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery July 2015 to July 2016
- Southern States Rhinology Course 2010:
– Kihawa Island, SC / Medical University of SC, Charleston
- Western States Rhinology Course 2008:
– Sonoma, CA / Comprehensive update on practice of medical and surgical rhinology
- Georgia Society of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery Annual Meetings:
– Amelia Island, FL : July 2007 Summer Meeting
– Atlanta GA : November 2007 Fall Meeting
– Atlanta GA : November 2008 Fall Meeting
– Kiawah Island, SC : July 2009 Summer Meeting
– Amelia Island, FL : July 2011 Summer Meeting
– Orlando, FL : July 2012 Summer Meeting
– Ponte Vedra, FL : July 2013 Summer Meeting
– Lake Oconee, GA : December 2013 Winter Meeting
- Caribbean Association of Otolaryngology Annual International Conference:
– Barbados, West Indies (March 2004)
– Antigua, West Indies (April 2005)
– Jamaica, West Indies (May 2006)
- National Medical Association Annual Meeting:
– Atlanta, GA (August 2008)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery Annual Meeting:
– New Orleans (September 2019)
– Atlanta (September 2018)
– Chicago (September 2017)
– Los Angeles (September 2005)
– Orlando, FL (September 2003)
– San Diego, CA (September 2002)
- University of California-Davis Medical Center:
– Department of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery
– Advanced Rotation in Head & Neck Surgery
– July through September 2002
- Osler Institute:
– Otolaryngology Board Review Course, Chicago, IL (April 2002)
- U.S. Army Medical Command: The Art of Rhinoplasty:
– San Francisco, CA (November 2001)
- Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meeting (COSM):
– Palm Desert, CA (May 2001)
– West Palm Beach, FL (May 1998)
- Otolaryngology International Academic Exchange (October 2000):
– Western China University of Medical Sciences, Cheng Du
– Sun Yat Sien Medical University, Gwan Zhou, People’s Republic of China
Dr. Witter Hewitt is a diplomate of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, past president of the Georgia Society of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery, member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, National Medical Association, and the Caribbean Association of Otolaryngology. Her areas of interest are pediatric disorders of the ear, nose and throat, sinus and allergy disorders, sleep disorders, thyroid, salivary glands, disorders of hearing and diagnostic neck surgery.
She utilizes state of the art technology on all of her surgical cases. She performs almost exclusively computer image-guided surgery. Her instrument of choice for tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy is the Coblator because of the dramatic reduction in postoperative pain. All of her thyroid and parotid surgeries are performed with the use of the NIM nerve monitoring device.
Dr. Witter Hewitt was featured in Atlanta Magazine’s Top Doctors issue in 2017, 2018, and 2019. She was also selected for the Top Otolaryngologist in Georgia by the 2013 HealthTap Top Doctor Competition. She was a founding expert of Health Tap, an Interactive Health Network and mobile application. She was also selected as one of America’s top physicians by the 2008 Consumer’s Research Council of America.
- 2019: Atlanta Magazine Top Doctors Award
- 2018: Atlanta Magazine Top Doctors Award
- 2017: Atlanta Magazine Top Doctors Award
- 2013: Top Otolaryngologist in Georgia, HealthTap Top Doctor Competition
- 2008: Selected among America’s top physicians by the 2008 Consumer’s Research Council of America.
- 1996 – 1997: Mackenzie Foundation Scholarship
- 1994 – 1996: National Medical Fellowship Award
- 1994 – 1996: Medical Scholars Award
- 1995 – 1996: Traveling Scholars Award
- 1994 – 1995: Center of Excellence Research Fellowship
- 1989 – 1993: Powers – Knapp Academic Scholarship