Dr. James B Orr
Letter to Patients
Dr. Orr became Board Certified in Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, on March 7, 1988 – his 34th birthday.Dr. Orr became Board Certified in Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery in the first year the exam was administered. The exam was given in 1989 and the first certificates presented in February of 1991 after two years of required surgical experience was submitted and approved. Dr. Orr was actually one of the first three Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeons in Georgia. The other two were Drs. William Silver and Wallace Dyer.
Dr. Orr joined The Emory Clinic in Atlanta, GA. in 1989 and practiced there almost 10 years. While there, he was an Assistant Professor of Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology in the Emory University School of Medicine.Dr. Orr was admitted as a full Fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 1991. This is a credential that few practicing otolaryngologist seek, as it requires a stringent peer review process that spans over two years.
Dr. Orr joined ENT of GA, in 1998, and became their Medical Director, a position he still holds today. Since joining ENT of Georgia, he has been an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgeryin the Emory University School of Medicine, and still teaches residents today.
Dr. Orr was the first Emory otolaryngologist to perform Image-Guided Sinus Surgery in 1992 and he was the first Emory otolaryngologist to perform Balloon Sinuplasty in 2005.Dr. Orr was Chief of Otolaryngology at Emory University Hospital Midtown (formally known as Crawford Long Hospital) for 17 years was named Chief of the Hospital Medical Staff for 2014-2015.
- M.D. – Louisiana State University Medical Center, New Orleans, LA. (1978-1982)
- Internship – Emory University Medical School, Atlanta, GA. in General Surgery. (1982-1983)
- Residency – Emory University Medical School, Atlanta, GA. in Otolaryngology. (1983-1987)
- Fellowship – Tulane University Medical School, New Orleans, LA. in Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. (1987-1988)
- Dr. Orr treats patients starting at age 13 and above.
- His special interest are in difficult nasal surgery, especially revision rhinoplasty, and sinus disease.
- Dr. Orr is well known for his expertise in all forms of sinusitis treatment, including minimally invasive surgical and non-surgical options. Nasal polyp and revision sinus surgery patients are welcomed.
- Dr. Orr utilizes in-office Balloon Sinuplasty, steroid-eluting nasal implants, and topical medical therapy with an emphasis on avoidance of prolonged systemic antibiotic or steroid use.